Today I am thankful for Lydia Taft. She was the first woman legally allowed to vote in colonial America.Women's suffrage in the United States was achieved gradually, at state and local levels, during the 19th Century and early 20th Century, culminating in1920 with the passage of the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution, which provided: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the Unites States or by any state on account of sex." (info from wikipedia.com)
I'm so thankful for those strong and couragous women who put their lives at risk to make it legal for everyone to vote. I can go to my polling location today without any worries of harm and decide who I want to vote for by my own free will. With all of the sacrafices that were made to ensure I had this opportunity, how could I not thank them by going out and voting. If you haven't voted, please do. If you're not voting because you don't know who to vote for, it's not too late, all of the information is on the internet. ("The internet? They have it on computers now?" heehee!) If you're not voting because you don't want to, then I'm sorry you feel that way. Many lives were given so you would have this opportunity.
In honor of what Lydia Taft, Lucy Stone, Paulina Davis, Abby Foster and many more have done to ensure my rights, I thought I'd play this fun clip from Mary Poppins. You can sing-a-long if you'd like.
No comments:
Post a Comment